Baked Cheese Grits. Have you ever had them? I grew up on traditional grits, you know the kind in the bowl, but when I was introduced to baked cheese grits a few years ago my love for grits changed forever. Cheese grits are good, baked cheese oh-my-gee they are awesome.
Not only are they good, the serving is huge. Since it would be a terrible shame to waste the goodness, I quickly discovered how wonderfully they reheat in the oven the next morning for breakfast. Yum!
Well, of course, that got me to thinking. Instead of waiting for our next visit to 4 Rivers Smokehouse, what if I made them at home?! Dun, dun, dun!
I give you 4 Rivers Smokehouse Baked Cheese Grits.
A delicious cheesy breakfast for a busy morning in less than 5 minutes.
Also be sure to check out my other Real Seal dairy recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip — it is perfect for football season!
Baked Cheese Grits
Baked Cheese Grits
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup yellow stone-ground grits
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 cheese slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Bring broth, salt and pepper to a boil in saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in grits, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes, or until broth is absorbed, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Add cheddar, cheese slices, butter and garlic powder, stirring until cheeses are melted. Set aside.
- Beat eggs lightly in a small bowl. Whisk a small amount of eggs into hot grits, mixing well. Gradually whisk remaining eggs into grits, whisking continuously. Whisk in milk.
- Pour into greased 8-inch-square baking dish. Bake 30 minutes. Let stand at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Tip: To serve in a shape, cover and refrigerate until cooled. Cut in desired shape in pan and warm in a toaster oven on low.