Easy Lemon Crackle Cookies, Free Printable

Let me warn you upfront. These lemon crinkle cookies are so yummy and so light that it is hard to eat just one of them. (Light and fluffy, not light in calories – I make no claims about calories.) If you decide to make these delicious bites of sweet lemony goodness, you might as well make two batches. They just don’t last. And they are so easy to make. These lemon crackle cookies were sponsored by General Mills.

I am telling you — make a double batch.

There is something so delightfully cheerful about citrus fruit, especially the lemon. When I was thinking about a sweet treat to make for Mother’s Day I wanted something happy, and I thought of lemons. These cookies are a perfect spring dessert. Give them as a gift or serve them at a party – they look fancy and taste divine, but you can whip them up in less than 20 minutes.

Lemon Crackle Cookies
I’ll tell you a secret, I made them with Betty Crocker® Super Moist® Cake Mix. Yes! Cake mix.

Now, I am not a big cake person. I could eat cookies all day long, but I am happy to leave the cake. So even as I mixed my lemon crinkle cookies, I figured everyone would love them — except me. Boy was I wrong. Apparently when cakes and cookies come together, I am all in.

Photographing these cookies was so hard. All I wanted to do was eat my props!

Ingredients

Tip – If you don’t have a silicone baking mat, I highly recommend getting one. It has become my secret weapon for making cookies, chocolates and more. I bought a Silpmat on a whim and it has become my most used baking tool.

Silpat Non-Stick Silicone Baking MatSilpat Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat

Directions

Mix eggs, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and cake mix in a large bowl.

Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes. (Creates fluffier cookies.)

Roll tablespoon size balls of dough in powdered sugar.

Lemon Cookie Dough
Lemon Cookie Powdered Sugar
Coat well and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

Lemon Crackle Cookie Powdered Sugar
Bake for 9 minutes at 375 degrees. (Makes 24 cookies.)

Enjoy!

If you can manage to part with some of these cookies, these cookies could really brighten someone’s day. Especially when paired with the cute printable tag I created for these cookies.

Lemon Crackle Cookies Printable Tag
I’ll tell you another cheat. I never seem to have cute plastic baggies when I need them, so I just cut the top off a sandwich baggie, added a little baker’s twine and ta-da. Perfect presentation.

Download your free Lemon Crinkle Cookies tag here.

You can cut the tags out by hand, or for a perfect circle I use Fiskar’s Extra Large Circle Punch.

I want another cookie now. Just one more cookie…

Lemon Cookie

4.3 from 9 reviews
Easy Lemon Crackle Cookies
Serves: 24

Ingredients
  • Betty Crocker® Super Moist® Lemon Cake Mix
  • 2 Eggs
  • ⅓ Cup Oil
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • ⅓ Cup Powdered Sugar
Instructions
  1. Mix eggs, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and cake mix in a large bowl.
  2. Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes. (Creates fluffier cookies.)
  3. Roll tablespoon size balls of dough in powdered sugar.
  4. Coat well and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
  5. Bake for 9 minutes at 375 degrees. (Makes 24 cookies.)

More Crinkle Cookies

Red, white and blue crinkle cookies.

Red White and Blue Crackle Cookies

Comments

1. Akshita Nanda says:

Hey, I could not find the lemon cake mix, can you tell me what I can use as a substitute for it?

2. Do you know how well these would freeze? I wondered if I could make these ahead of time and freeze them.

• That’s a good question. Honestly, they never last long enough in my house to test it! LOL. But considering that they are cake batter, I would imagine they would freeze nicely. The only downside, the powdered sugar might not look as pretty when it defrosts. The more I think about it, I am picturing the powdered sugar being too absorbed into the cookie from freezing. I am really just not sure. But they are a quick cookie to whip up 🙂 Sorry I am not more help.

3. Carol Mayle says:

My dough is way too soft to form into balls. What’s the best way to deal with this?

4. Carol Mayle says:

My dough is way too soft to roll into balls. How do I deal with this?

• Did you refrigerate the dough for at least 30 mins? It is a very sticky dough, if you look at the picture you can see how sticky the dough is. When I “ball” it, it is more like dropping blobs into the sugar. Coating it with sugar helps it to not be sticky, and then I can form nicer balls. I hope this helps and your cookies turn out yummy!

• I ended up doing what you suggested, but after refrigerating the dough, I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes. After that, I was able to handle the “blobs” using two spoons in the sugar. The cookies are fantastic!!! I am making them again tonight to bring to a party tomorrow night. I thank you and my friends thank you!

• The dough is very sticky even after refrigeration. I used my small cookie scoop and dropped into the powdered sugar and then was able to form the balls.

5. Had the same concern about the soft sticky dough but after looking at the picture decided to try it. Once in the powdered sugar, it worked just fine.

This recipe makes WAY more than 24 cookies though. I doubled the batch as you suggested and used tablespoon sized drops. My first batch of 24 is in the over now and I’ve got at least 2/3 of the dough left! Better too many than too little…

6. I found that one recipe equals one serving lol. These are sinfully good!

7. It would really help if all the recipes were printable.

• Hi Nancy – I am sorry, it looks like my printable plugin wasn’t working on that recipe for some reason. It has been fixed now. I appreciate the heads up so I could fix it for future bakers 🙂

8. It was nice to get your reply to my email. I made the Lemon Crinkle cookies today…love them. You are right, so cute. I’m giving them as a gift tonight. I’m hoping I’m surbscribed to you. Thanks, Nancy

9. By the way, I forgot to mention a while ago that my sister froze these lemon cookies and said they were great, no problem.

10. I forgot to mention a while ago someone asked if these could be frozen..My sister froze hers and said they were great, no
    Problem.

11. Do these need to be cooled on a cooling rack after baking?

• They need to sit on the cookie sheet for a bit first, if you try to move them right away they will crumble. But yes, I typically move all of my cookies to a cooling rack eventually so I can back another batch. LOL. But def let them cool for a good 5-10 mins first.

12. Great recipe. ..

13. These don’t keep very well in the freezer. They get hard and loose their flavour. 😣

• Sorry to hear that. We’ve never had a batch last long enough to freeze 😉 You’ll have to make a fresh batch again sometime… yum!

14. Pamela Garcia says:

Just made these tonight with a variety of cookies for my boys . This is such an easy recipe it’s hard to go wrong!! They taste so good and you are right…they are addictive as heck!! Thanks fora great lil recipe!!

15. Pamela garcia says:

Just made these tonight. Yum!!! You are right, they are addictive!! Great lil recipe…thanks so much!

16. Lana Meadows says:

My cookies stayed in a ball. What did I do wrong? They cooked but never spread out. I had just fixed a different recipe and they did they same thing. Hope you can help!

17. Disappointing! I usually make homemade chocolate crinkles but I have two small babies and wanted to try something faster and lemony for a change. These came out basically like cake bites, fluffy and dry. Crinkles should have the consistency of a brownie, not a cake. They should be dense and gooey. Maybe one less egg would have been better?

18. Letizia Tripp says:

these cookies are delicious , I them for Christmas together with other cookies ,. gave them as gifts and everybody loved them , they are also my favorite lemon cookies

19. Jen, do you know of a brand of cake mix av ailable in the land dowunder – Australai that could be used in your recipe?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to corresopndents by answering their queires. Much appreciated as many web pages
    a) do not have the ability to comments much less take the time to reply.

Agan thank you and hope you can assist me in my query. Mazza

• Hi Mazza – Unfortunately, I have never been lucky enough to visit Australia. (Someday, I hope!) So I am not much help in finding a specific cake mix there. I would think you could substitute whatever brand of lemon cake you have available. I like this brand because it is super moist, so I would look for something similar. Sorry I am not more help! Good luck, and let me know if you are able to find something that works!

20. I made several batches of these cookies as part of my Christmas Cookie & Candy presents. My family and our First Responders really look forward to these boxes. They contain the old recipes of favorites and always a couple of new things. These Lemon Crackle Cookies were a huge hit! I have made about a dozen special request batches since Christmas, folks really love them, lol so do I. Thank you for sharing.

21. I made these last night. They where delish but like Jennifer said they were not gooey. What do you suggest? Maybe one less egg like Jennifer ? Wish I could put a pic of w y came out.

22. I made these last night. They where delish but like Jennifer said they were not gooey. What do you suggest? Maybe one less egg like Jennifer ? Wish I could put a pic of how they came out.

23. Lenda Marshall says:

Oh my gosh! I just made these, and they are wonderful! My grandson likes lemon, and I’m pretty sure he’s going to love these cookies. They are sauper easy to make, very moist and lemony. I’m going to have to double the recipe next time because I use a larger scoop.

24. Made these for a function; they were a huge hit. Dough was very sticky. I used 2 spoons to scoop, drop and roll into powered sugar then used the spoon to also transfer to the baking sheet. I needed to bake for 12 minutes; anything less was undercooked.

25. Would love to have a free printable of the Lemon Crinkle Cookies.

26. The printable Lemon Crackle Cookies gift tag is in the post. Just click to download the image and you can print it. Enjoy!

Trackbacks

1. […] find a recipe for these Easy Lemon Crinkle Cookies with a free printable, shared by The Suburban Mom. 6. You will definitely be inspired to get […]