We love avocados in our family, I mean we LOVE avocados. On sandwiches, tacos or just whole slices, we eat a lot of avocados. No one likes them more than our baby girl who can eat an entire avocado by herself, and she’s only one! When I try to split one with her, she cries when she runs out.
But while we eat avocados by the dozens in the raw form, I have never cooked with them. And it never even occurred to me to bake with them. Did you know you could substitute avocados for butter in cookies? I had no idea until a friend told me recently. She swears that you can’t taste the difference, and that they are actually moister.
The substitution not only cuts down the fat content, but provides extra goodness from the avocados. From what I have read, you can simply swap out equal parts butter for avocado in any recipe. Of course, I have to try this. The big test will be getting the avocado cookies past my avocado-fearing four year old (while the rest of us gobble up avocados, my four year old is not a fan).
I have big plans for avocado Christmas cookies, but I think I will test my luck with these easy brownies first.
- 1 box of your favorite brand’s brownie mix*
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup pureed Avocados from Mexico in place of oil
*Specific ingredients/amounts will vary per brand.
- Preheat oven to 350°F for glass or metal pans, 325°F for dark or non-stick pans. Grease bottom of pan with shortening or cooking spray.
- Combine brownie mix, eggs, pureed avocado and water in large bowl. Stir until well blended (about 50 strokes). Spread in greased pan and bake immediately.
- Bake for amount of time per instructions on box. Brownies are done when toothpick inserted 1 inch from edge of pan comes out clean. Cool completely in pan before cutting and serving.
I can’t wait to try this myself.
In the mean time, I want to tell you about the Avocados from Mexico’s Better Baking Sweepstakes to enter one of 511 gift card prizes.
HOW DO I ENTER?
It’s a piece of cake – All you have to do is “Like” Avocados from Mexico and complete the sweepstakes registration form before 12/31/12 for your chance to win! One entry per person.
WHAT CAN I WIN?
Winners will receive one of the following:
- (1) Grand Prize – $2,500 iCard Gift Card
- (10) Second Prizes – $100 iCard Gift Card
- (500) Third Prizes – $25 iCard Gift Card
Wow – 511 winners! (Fingers crossed!)
So, have you ever substituted avocados in your baked goods before? How did it turn out?