Motherhood is a crazy gig. I look at my girls and I dream of what they will someday become. I can’t wait for them to get old enough to do various things. But all the while, my heart aches — I don’t want them to get bigger. Oh that I could keep them small forever.
Don’t get me wrong, young is hard. Especially those first few months. But even as I am deep in the throes of potty training, I already miss diapering my babes. How can my baby already be two and half years old? She will be headed off to pre-school in the fall. (Hold me.)
Because I can’t keep them little forever, there are a few things I never want to forget.
- The way she called Playdoh “ta-toe.”
- The way she asks me to “carry me like a baby” before bed.
- The way ending credits are an invitation to a spontaneous dance party. Every time.
- The way she calls Twinkle, Twinkle “Ap-pa-pa” (as in “up above the world so high”).
- The way every family member must sing “Ap-pa-pa” to her before she sleeps.
- The way she runs to get her stool to “help” me cook.
- The way she wants to, and believes she can do, anything big sister does.
- Her great love for all things Toy Story.
- Her great love for Kristoff (Frozen).
- Those curls.
- Her love for “Abacado” (avocado/guacamole).
- Her sweet hugs and kisses.
- The way she always wakes with a paci-stuffed smile.
- Her out-of-the-blue “we go to Disney today?” requests.
- The way “HIJK” is pronounced “HIKK” when she sings her ABCs.
- The way she first, middle and last names her big sister when she is mad.
- The way she used to say “tookie” instead of cookie, but she just gave that up too…
As I feel time slipping through my fingers, I do my best to cherish every little moment. And capture every moment. Perhaps that is why my camera is like another appendage, and I have gigs and gigs of photos to back up each month.
Because I HAVE to remember that smile.
Playtex knows babies, and we know every baby is unique. We want to help parents capture their child’s one-of-a-kind personality with a keepsake that they can treasure forever. That’s why we’ve created the Beginnings Imagined Sweepstakes. If you win, accomplished artist Julie Olson will create an amazing, hand-illustrated tale of who your baby is today and who he or she may become.
In addition to the weekly drawing for a one-of-a-kind illustration, everyone who enters the Beginnings Imagined sweepstakes is also entered for the grand prize of a $5,000 scholarship to help their child discover who they will be come one day.
You only have until July 1 to enter, so visit the Playtex Baby’s Beginnings Imagined sweepstakes today.
This is my Beginnings Imagined illustration.