Who else is ready to celebrate the 4th of July with the sun, sand, fireworks and all things red, white and blue?! The 4th of July is a big holiday for my family, deeply rooted in tradition with an open-door that welcomes all family and friends. Our giant-sized celebration has become an annual event that everyone looks forward to. In fact, I can’t even remember a 4th of July not spent surrounded by family at the beach.
The joke in our family is that if it has been done once, it becomes a tradition. So when trying new recipes, it is important to stay simple because I could end up making it for the next 20+ years. For example, I don’t think they would allow me in the door with our my Granny’s Dip. I perfected my Granny’s Dip years ago, and now it might as well be called Jen’s Dip.
This year I am venturing out and bringing a new dessert to the party — Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
These Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches are a great new tradition to add to any gathering. They are easy to make and can be made ahead of time, so you have time to enjoy the party. Or on the spot if you need more. Of course, they would be wonderful with homemade cookies, but remember I was going for easy. So I made these with my favorite chocolate chip cookies from Publix and Dryer’s / Edy’s Frozen Custard.
Did you notice I said frozen custard? That’s right, Dreyer’s/ EDY’S® is the first national brand to offer the beloved all-American yummy creamy frozen treat. Not only is it thick and rich, it is made with fresh milk from local farms and no artificial colors or flavors. It is so good, and it makes perfect ice creams sandwiches.
To make these rich and creamy ice cream sandwiches, place a scoop of ice cream on a lined cookie sheet. Lay a piece of parchment paper over the ice cream scoop, then use palm of your hand gently press the scoop flat.
Sprinkle red, white and blue sprinkles around the edge of the ice cream. (Great job for kids!)
How does your family celebrate the 4th of July?
Dryer’s / Edy’s Frozen Custard
Ice cream’s creamier cousin, Frozen Custard, can be found in the freezer aisle at retailers throughout the country, such as Walmart, Target, Publix, etc. To find Dryer’s / EDY’S® Frozen Custard in your area, use the Frozen Custard locator.
Dryer’s / EDY’S® Frozen Custard is available in six creamy flavors:
- Old Fashioned Vanilla Frozen Custard
- Chocolate Malt Frozen Custard
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Frozen Custard
- Snickerdoodle Frozen Custard
- Peanut Butter Pie Frozen Custard
- Mint Cookies ’N Cream Frozen Custard
This giveaway has ended.
Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2 medium-size chocolate chip cookies
- 1 scoop of Edy's Frozen Custard
- Place a scoop of ice cream on a lined cookie sheet. Lay a piece of parchment paper over the ice cream scoop, then use palm of your hand gently press the scoop flat.
- Place the ice cream disk on a cookie, and then place another cookie on top.
- Sprinkle red, white and blue sprinkles around the edge of the ice cream.
- Put your Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches in the freezer until guests are ready to devour.