This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Florida Department of Citrus. All opinions are 100% mine.
They say, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” But when mornings are rush, rush, rush the big question is what can I grab and go? As a Florida girl, I love a glass of orange juice for breakfast (or any time really). But I also need a grab-and-grow breakfast, so here’s an idea to add Florida orange juice to your diet in a handheld form — Glazed Orange Juice Muffins.
- Taste – Need I say more? 100% Florida Orange Juice is delicious!
- Vitamin C – 100% Florida Orange Juice is an excellent source of vitamin C, which is important for the formation of collagen (a component of bones, gums and cartilage).
- Folate – 100% Florida Orange Juice is a good source of folate, a water-soluble B vitamin essential for cell division and red blood cells. (Also very important for pregnant and nursing moms!)
- Potassium – 100% Florida Orange Juice is a good source of potassium. Important for muscle function, potassium aslo plays a role in nerve transmission and helps maintain the body’s fluid, electrolyte and pH balance.
- No sugar add – 100% Florida Orange Juice contains no added sugar. The taste of 100% Florida Orange Juice is courtesy of nature’s goodness.
Glazed Orange Juice Muffins
- 1/2 Cup 100% Florida Orange Juice
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Melted Unsalted Butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Zest of 1 Orange
Makes 18 muffins
Orange Juice Glaze:
- 1/4 Cup Freshly squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Grated Orange Zest
Orange Juice Muffins
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
Mix together wet ingredients (milk, orange juice, sour cream, eggs and butter).
In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt).
Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until the dry ingredients are just incorporated.
Gentle fold in orange zest.
Spoon the batter into a muffin tin lined with muffin cups to the top of the muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Allow muffins to cool before transferring to a cooling rack to glaze.
Orange Juice Glaze
While the muffins are baking, you can make the optional glaze.
Combine the orange juice, powdered sugar and zest in a bowl.
Once the muffins have cooled slightly, drizzle the glaze on top of each muffin.
I highly recommend serving these muffins warm. Ummm… sooo good!
If stopping to eat breakfast and adding more fruit to your diet was part of your resolution for 2015, adding 100% Florida Orange Juice to your morning routine is an easy way to help meet both goals.