In some cases I am a brand loyalist. For other items, I discovered long ago that brand doesn’t really matter. Generic brands are often nearly identical to the big brands. And, and of course, they are usually a lot less expensive.
For a little budget-minded shipping, I headed out to Dollar General to compare a few Dollar General Brands to the big boys. I was quite surprised just how many Dollar General brand items were available. Honestly, I never really noticed the Dollar General brand before, typically shopping for a specific item.
My challenge was to purchase one item from each of Dollar General’s generic branded lines:
- Dollar General Health
- Dollar General Body
- Dollar General Baby
- Dollar General Cleaning
- Clover Valley (DG’s food line)
I really wasn’t sure what options I would find initially, but as I filled my cart I soon realized that there were a ton of great options from every category. After considering what we needed at home and the Dollar General options available, I quickly narrowed my selection. I purchased:
- Dollar General Health – 100% Natural Beeswax Lip Balm (for K who just recently finished her balm and was in need of more)
- Dollar General Health – Hand sanitizer (for K’s back-to-school list – yes, I am starting early)-
- Dollar General Body – Hand soap (because we always need soap refills)
- Dollar General Baby – Corn starch powder (for homemade sidewalk chalk paint)
- Dollar General Baby – Unscented wipes (also from K’s school supply list)
- Dollar General Cleaning – Cleaning wipes (who doesn’t need more of these?!)
- Clover Valley – Green Olives (for our favorite family meal)
As I pursued the aisles considering Dollar General brand items, what struck me the most was the savings. On average, the Dollar General item was $1 less than the national brand. That’s a savings of approximately $7 on my seven items (no coupons needed)! Plus Dollar General brand items come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
After realizing how much I was saving, I decided to splurge on a large frame that I found in the clearance bin. While the art inside the frame is not my style, I am on the hunt for nice frames to spray paint and convert for the playroom. At just $5 for a detailed 12×12, it was a bargain. Especially when you consider that I saved more than that buying Dollar General brand items.
My grand total for everything in the picture (and the frame, which you can kind of see in the picture) was $19.95. Not too shabby for a pile of things needed for our house.
Next time you are at Dollar General, check out the Dollar General brand items. There are so many options to choose from, I bet you will find more than a couple of things on your shopping list too.
Connect with Dollar General on Facebook and Follow Dollar General on Twitter to stay up-to-date on current promotions and sales. (Hint, from time to time there are various dollar off purchase coupons that would really make Dollar General branded items a deal.)