Need the perfect appetizer for your holiday party? Here it is! This Christmas Veggie Tree is sure to be a hit at any holiday affair. The only problem is that it is so pretty, people will be afraid to eat it!
This project is SO easy, but it does take a LOT of broccoli! I purchased three packs with three heads each, and I had to send my husband back out for another package. Even then, I ended up cutting off the last inch of the styrofoam because I was totally out of veggies.
- Styrofoam cone
- Aluminum foil
- Broccoli (12 + heads)
- Carrots (full package of baby carrots)
- Tomatoes (full package of cherry tomatoes)
- (Any other veggie you want to use)
First wrap your cone in foil, then starting at the bottom stick your veggies on the tree with toothpicks. It really is that simple, but I do have a few tips that I learned from experience.
- Chop all of your broccoli first and use the big pieces at the bottom saving the smaller pieces for the top to help balance the look of your tree.
- I placed the veggie “ornaments” as I went, but then I ended up filling in at the end too.
- Yes, I used toothpicks on every piece of broccoli and tomatoes, but the carrots I just squished in. Although the top few carrots needed toothpicks to stay in place too.
- Stick the toothpick in the broccoli then stick the broccoli in the cone. But for tomatoes, stick the toothpick on the cone, then slide on your tomato (otherwise you are likely to squish your tomato).
- Don’t be afraid to chop off the top of the cone if you run out of veggies 🙂
Thank you to my inspiration, that I found on Pintrest.