You brush your teeth, ch-ch ch-ch cha. When we were first teaching my daughter to let us brush her teeth, we introduced her to Raffi’s brush your teeth song and it was a lifesaver. She loved the ch-ch ch-ch cha. While teeth brushing is still a chore she doesn’t love (hey, she’s 2) she has gotten better about letting us keep those pearly whites nice and bright. Here are some tips to help you keep your kiddo’s smile healthy and bright.
- Make it fun – Whether you sing a song, use a fun toothbrush or make it a family affair make teeth brushing fun. (It will make your life easier too.)
- No Milk in Bed – This is particularly for the little ones. A friend of mine was still giving a sippy cup in bed to her 3 year old every night, and his teeth ended up becoming so rotted he had to have surgery. Let this be a warning and make a house rule, no mild in bed!
- Eat Crunchy Veggies – Veggies like carrots and celery provide lots of healthy benefits including the crunch factor. When your little one crunches on these snacks they rub the teeth removing food bits. (In fact, our vet recommends carrots for dogs to keep plaque down!)
- Drink lots of Water – Water does so many good things for the body including helping wash off your teeth and build your immune system to fight bad bacteria.
- Limit the Sweet Stuff – Duh. We all know this, but it isn’t always the easiest thing to do.
Disclosure – I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Trident blogging program, making me eligible to get a $25 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.