We’ve spent a lot of time at home the last few months, so I am sure everyone is looking for something new and fun to keep their kids entertained this summer (myself included!). Today I am sharing 18 free summer activities for kids. Some of them are our regular favorites with a take-home option, some are for later this summer as more things open up and some are new summer favorites. The best part is, they are all free activities!
If you know of another fun free summer activity, let me know. I would love to add it to my list. Have a great time!
15 Free Summer Activities For Kids
- Free Home Depot Kids Workshops – Currently, Home Depot is not offering in-store workshops. But the free kits are available to take home. Just ask. My kids built one this week! Home Depot offers kids (5 – 12) workshops the first Saturday of every month between 9 – 12 pm. Kids get to keep their craft and receive a Free Kids Workshop Apron, commemorative pin and certificate of achievement.
- 20 Free Virtual Escape Rooms – Do you have what it takes to solve the puzzles to get to the next level? Many of these virtual escape rooms are themed around popular books, appropriate ages noted. (Note, check out the mermaid one my daughter created!)
- Michael’s – In-store classes have been temporarily paused, but kids can join weekly Zoom classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3 pm C to make a new craft. Past classes are also available to watch on the website.
- Free Virtual Classes For Kids – Check out these virtual classes for kids from art to science, my kids love these classes.
- Bass Pro Shops Family Summer Camp – Bass Pro Shops host free activities and crafts for the family every Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from June 22 – July 21 starting at noon. The events include free crafts, a shooting gallery, casting pond, family workshops, campfire s’mores, photo, and merit badge workshops. Please note that not all activities are available at all Bass Pro Shops.
- Free LEGO Mini Build – LEGO no longer offers free mini builds in-store, however, each month LEGO offers free instructions for a mini build at home. Just use your own LEGOs, download the instructions and have fun building.
- 15 Free Summer Reading Programs for 2020 – Encourage your kids to keep reading all summer with these summer reading programs. These incentive programs include free books, free food and free money!
- KidsBowlFree.com – Register your kids for two free games of bowling all summer long at lanes across the country.
- KidsSkateFree.com – Register your kids for coupons to skate free all summer long at rinks across the country.
- American Girl Crafts – Most June events are canceled, check back soon for information about July events. Stop by your local American Girl Store on the first Wednesday of each month for a fun and free craft! Each month will feature a different craft and theme, including Girl of the Year, Contemporary Characters, BeForever, and more.
- Free National Park Entrance for Fourth Graders – Did you know fourth graders, along with their siblings and up to three adults can get into our National Parks for free? If you have a fourth grader, help them sign up for a free pass and start exploring.
- Free Museum Admission – While many museums are currently closed due to COVID, this program will resume as museums open later in the summer (the website suggests early July.) Bank of America cardholders can get free general admission to 150 museums nationwide the first full weekend of each month. Check to see what museums are free near you.
- Earn Free Chuck E Cheese Tokens – Enterprising kids can earn free tokens to play at Chuck E Cheese’s by doing things like cleaning their rooms, brushing their teeth and doing summer reading. Download the free rewards calendars of your choice and let them start earning their fun
- Apple Summer Camps: Select Apple Retail stores hold summer camps where kids can make movies, create photo slideshows, write and record songs, put on a show for everyone, and learn how to do new things on a Mac. Each free workshop lasts three hours. Recommended for kids ages 8-12. A sign up is available to be notified about 2020 classes.
- FREE Museum & Cultural Center Admission – The Target First program brings FREE and reduced-price events around the country. Many are the first weekend of a month, but check the calendar and locations near you to be sure.
- Free National Park Entrance – Visit more than 100 national parks for free on August 25 and September 30.
- Lakeshore Learning Center – These classes have temporarily canceled due to COVID. Free craft projects for kids every Saturday from 11 – 3 pm.
- Free ebooks for kids – Keep up with summer reading by downloading free ebooks to for your kids to read.
More Summer Activities For Kids
$1 Kids Movies All Summer