As a little girl, my mom read to me the stories of the land of Oz. The old hardbound books that were hers as a girl were yellowed with age, and that familiar musty smell lingered with each turn of the page. Listening to my mother as she read stories of an enchanted land and fanciful creatures from books that her mom once read to her is a special memory. A memory I hope to repeat with my daughters — if we can find those old books. Thank you to Disney for sending me a review copy of this special story.
Because Oz has always held such a special place in my heart, I watched Disney’s Oz The Great And Powerful on the edge of my seat, delighted at every story twist and new character reveal. While this darker tale of Oz is still a bit too much for my girls to enjoy, I will save this Blu-Ray to watch with them when they get a bit older. For now, it is mom’s special movie.
This is not The Wizard of Oz story that you know, nor is it one of the subsequent 13 stories in the original series. This is an all new tale that goes back to the beginning to explain how an ordinary man became an extraordinary wizard in the land of Oz.
Remembering my beloved stories, I watched with excitement as the story unfolded explaining how things came to be and leading perfectly into The Wonderful The Wizard of Oz. Telling the tale of not only Oscar, who becomes the wizard, but also that of the sisters, Evanora and Theodora, who become the Wicked Witch of the East and the Wicked Witch of the West. Haven’t you ever wondered just what made them just so wicked?
Oz The Great and Powerful is truly a beautiful movie with visuals becoming of the land of Oz. Like the move The Wizard of Oz (circa 1939), Oz The Great and Powerful opens in black and white land allowing the land of Oz to become a colorful and stark contrast to the dull and lifeless Kansas from which both Oscar and later Dorothy hail.
Once in Oz, one cannot help but to fall in love with the kind witch Theodora. Although I knew what was to come, watching her innocence and child-like optimism be crushed by evil still makes me sad.
Along his journey to becoming the wizard everyone believes him to be, Oscar is befriended by Finley the flying Monkey (Zach Braff), China Girl (Joey King) and Glinda the good (Michelle Williams). And while he may not be exactly what the good people of Oz were expecting, in the end he turns out to be exactly what they needed. And, more importantly, they are exactly what he needed to find his greatness.
Oz The Great and Powerful is now available on DVD, DVD & Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray and 3D Blu-Ray. (FYI – If you are 3D capable, this is a movie where the 3D is really stunning.)
Prefer to buy in store, snag this printable coupon for $7 off.
BONUS – The Blu-Ray/DVD combo back includes a free movie ticket to see Lone Ranger this fall!!!
Blu-Ray Bonus Features:
- The Magic of “Oz The Great and Powerful” (Second Screen Experience) – An immersive Second Screen experience that details all things Oz. From an interactive map full of secrets and surprises, to an inside look at the spectacular world of Oz. All fans need to do is download the special (free) “The Magic of Oz The Great and Powerful: Second Screen” App, which provides fans with infinite opportunities to remain connected to their favorite film, its cast of characters and to dive deeper into the magical world of Oz. This App provides exclusive access to invigorating and exclusive content including:
- The Enchanting Characters and Creatures of Oz – From Munchkins and Tinkers to good witches, bad witches, and flying baboons, this piece follows each character and creature of the Land of Oz from inspiration to final outcome.
- The Sounds of Magical Oz – What adds fragility to the sounds of China Girl’s footsteps; ferocity to the tornado; or weight to the flutter of Finley’s flapping wings?
- Sleight of Hand: Zach Braff Puppet Theater – Actor, and voice of Finley, Zach Braff introduces viewers to the Finley mockup.
- Mariah Carey Music Video
- Bloopers (also on DVD)
- My Journey in Oz by James Franco – A personal story produced and directed by James Franco.
- Mr. Elfman’s Musical Concoctions – An interview with composer Danny Elfman unveils his inspiration in scoring “Oz The GreatAnd Powerful.”
- China Girl and the Suspension of Disbelief – This feature uncloaks the several forms of movie magic employed to bring China Girl to life, from the initial artwork and character design, to the on-set puppeteering during filmmaking, and finally, through each stage of the visual-effects process; and includes an interview with Joey King, the voice of China Girl.
- Before Your Very Eyes: From Kansas to Oz – Production designer Robert Stromberg takes viewers through the set design of the Land of Oz, from sketching his original ideas on a napkin, through to the final set pieces and the accompanying visual effects.
- Mila’s Metamorphosis – Lead makeup artist Howard Berger expands on one of the oldest, most tried-and-true forms of movie magic: makeup design and effects.
- Walt Disney and the Road to Oz – It is well known that Walt Disney had a fascination with the Land of Oz since he was a child. See how that fascination grew into inspiration as he began planning for his own adaptation of the stories in the classic Baum books. (Also on DVD)
One lucky winner will receive a copy of Oz The Great And Powerful on Blu-Ray and DVD.
D SCHMIDT says
My favorite character in the movie is Evanora.
Shemp DeYoung (@shempgames) says
definitely OZ !
“We have nothing to fear as long as we believe. For when we do believe, anything is possible!” – Oscar
Eloise C says
I love Oz in this movie but my favorite character in the original Wizard of Oz was the Cowardly Lion. Thanks so much for hosting this giveaway!
Renee G says
I like Toto.
apple blossom says
love the scarecrow. My favorite song is….If I only had a brain. ;P
Danielle T says
My favorite character is Glinda!
Liza @ Views From the 'Ville says
From Oz the Great & Powerful my favorite character is Finley. From the Wizard of Oz in general my favorite character is probably the Scarecrow 🙂
Oz is my fave
Andrea Williams says
In the original was Tin Man – I have not seen this one yet.
Tammy S says
Glinda the Good Witch always love the good person
Sherri Lewis says
Oz is my favorite character in this movie
Julie Wood says
My favorite character in this movie is Theodora!
April Brosius says
I like the lion and the ruby slippers the most.
melissa williams says
Glinda the good witch was always my favorite.
Stephen N. says
Heather Hayes Panjon says
My Favorite Is The Lion!
Jill S. says
my favorite is the cowardly lion
the witch always loved her I was born on halloween maybe that is why
Kathy S says
I love the Tinkers.
steve weber says
I love the little China Doll in this movie.
Donna W. says
I really enjoyed China Doll!
Kate F. says
From The Wizard of Oz, my favorite character was Dorothy. From Oz the Great and Powerful, my favorite character was Theodora.
heta s says
Oz all the way through.
Cynthia R says
favorite character was the lion
Denise Taylor-Dennis says
I like the Scarecrow
Jennifer B says
I like the cowardly lion
Debra Hall says
my favorite is Dorothy
Kristina Wilson says
Maria Malaveci says
My favorite is definitely Glinda!
Ronald O. says
Stephanie Grant says
Hands down the Scarecrow!
keely hostetter says
The scarecrow was always my favorite.
Amy Orvin says
Toto is my favorite.
Darlene Jones-Nelson says
The Tin man is my favorite character.
wen budro says
My favorite is the wicked witch and her flying monkeys.
fave: china doll
Sarah L says
Thanks for the contest.
Sara Wood says
I like the wizard!
Manic Mom says
Dorthy…..I just could relate to her most.
Manic Mom says
To Dream today, is to live tomorrow, never thinking of yesterdays mistakes.
Amy G says
Shane R. says
Daniel M says
kelly Nicholson says
Tell me your favorite character from The Wizard of Oz.
flying monkeys..ha ha
The cowardly lion is my favorite.
Charlene S says
Dorthy is my favorite.
BILL HOFF says
Eva Biggs says
I havent seen this movie yet, but the lion is my fave.
Will G says
Jessica Cox says
I like the cowardly lion .
Brandi Price says
The scarecrow… reminds me of myself sometimes! LOL “If I only had a brain…”
I haven’t seen this one yet, but in the original my favorite is The Cowardly Lion!
Janet F says
I love the Scarecrow character.
janetfaye (at) gmail (dot) com
Marti Parks says
The tin man has always been my favorite.
I like the Lolly Pop guild. I do not represent them, but I do remember thinking they were oddly scary when I was a kid and mimicking their behavior. .
The Lion is my favourite!
I love the Tin Man
Kimberly Schotz says
In the old one I like the Tin Man. in the new one I like China Doll
Dawn k says
I like the scarecrow.
Patricia Wojnar Crowley says
My favorite was the China Doll!
Rhonda S. Tenderholt says
I love Toto.
Melissa Tippie says
My favorite character from The Wizard of Oz is the Scarecrow! He’s just sooo loveable 🙂
Sheila Hickmon says
My favorite character is Dorthy!
jeannine s says
I liked China girl in the movie
TAMMY CUEVAS says
ashley tuckett says
Love the cowardly lion.. hes so cute
Robert Pyszk says
Scarecrow is my favorite character
Adrienne M says
The Tin Man is my favorite! Everyone needs a HEART!
Sarah L says
Thanks for the contest.
Ashley Morrow says
I love Toto.
I like the Wicked Witch of the West.
sarah oswald says
I always loved Dorothy but I love all of what makes up the wizard of oz. my favorite movie always.
Ariel Henry says
The Cowardly Lion is my favorite!
I like the wizard! James franco 🙂
Dianna Thomas says
The tin Man and China Doll
I love Dorothy
John Knight says
My favorite is the lion,
Ellie W says
The Tin Man is my favorite.
Rebecca Lock says
Glinda the good witch
Stephanie V. says
Angela Kinder says
Definitely the Scarecrow!
Danielle D says
The Tin Man
Glinda the good witch is my favorite.
Suzanne Lewis says
I like the Tin Man.
Vikki Billings says
I always loved the lion!
Jaque R says
When I was a child I love the Cowardly Lion…so sad, so sweet. 🙂 Thank you.
John Hutchens says
I like the tin man
Cowardly Lion 🙂
shannon Baas says
Glinda is mine.
Lynne T. says
I like the Scarecrow.
I love the scarecrow. I think he is funny.
I like the scarecrow
Susan Smith says
I like the Scarecrow too 🙂
trisha kilpatrick says
Glenda was my favorite.
amy deeter says
Theodora is my favorite.
Tammy OHagan says
The Aunt! She reminds me of my Grandma
Candice Hull says
Definitely the Cowardly Lion
I would love to see this on blu ray
Lisa Brown says
great movie and fantastic special effects 🙂