Staying healthy is a year-round commitment, but it is especially tough during the holiday season. Not only are there temptations around every corner – cookies, pies, cakes, candies… the lack of sleep, a regular schedule and time to prepare healthy meals is a recipe for disaster. (Especially with a sweet tooth like mine!)
So during the holidays, we have to work especially hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle for ourselves and our family. Before the holiday madness begins, take a moment to review a few simple things you can do to keep your family healthy during the holidays:
- Drink water. And then drink more water. Skip the sodas and eggnog when you can and fill up on water. Save the sugar indulgences for desert.
- Eat before you go. If you arrive at that holiday party starving, you are more likely to fill up on whatever is in front of you. Choosing to eat something healthy before you go will give you control over something nutritious and you will have less room to indulge. (One idea, grab an apple.)
- Walk it off. After a big meal, suggest a walk around the neighborhood to burn off some of that energy. Get the kids into the action by making it a nature walk (if during the day) or a chance to look at Christmas lights (if at night).
- Stock up on the good stuff. If you know you will be eating less-than-stellar options at parties and family’s house, stock your pantry with nutritious items for the other meals.
- Two words – crock pot. No time to cook, ask for an early Christmas present and get yourself a crock pot. With a crock pot, you can chop and dice the night before, then dump it all in to cook all day long. When you return from a day of shopping or merry making a nice, healthy, hot meal will be waiting for you. (Even I can cook with a crock pot!)
Those are just a few ideas to keep holiday indulgences from getting to your hips.
This holiday season, Parents.com and Aetna have teamed up to encourage parents and families to recommit to their health and learn more about their health. Today, many parents want to take health matters into their own hands and be able to make more informed decisions about health care and living healthier for the sake of their children. Furthermore, they’re looking for ways to live healthier to help them drive down costs of medical expenses so they have money to use on more fun recreational activities with their kids.
To help encourage you to Live Smart, so you are invited to share your moments of struggles and successes in maintaining a healthy lifestyle for a chance to win $300 from Parents.com and Aetna.
Aetna also offers the following tips to help you keep moving:
- Gym membership too expensive? Check out these low/no cost options to keeping you moving
- No time to workout? Check out these tips to fit exercise into a busy schedule
- Overwhelmed by what to do? Learn good fitness basics and terminology
Now for the giveaway!!!
Giveaway – One lucky reader will win a $100 Visa Gift Card, Williams-Sonoma cookbook, Pedometer and an assortment of Yogi Tea (more than $125 value!)
To enter – Please use the Rafflecopter form below to take advantage of your entry opportunities.
MANDATORY ENTRY MUST BE LEFT AS COMMENT ON BLOG POST BELOW– then you can check off in Rafflecopter that you did it. Otherwise, all other entries will be invalid. (Click instructions for what to comment about.)
Disclosure – I was provided a promotional product for sharing my healthy tips and the prize is being provided to the winner, however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.0