With Labor Day just a few weeks away and summer drawing to a close you might think a post about travel tips is a little late in the game, but since all of our big trips are planned for this fall it’s at the forefront of my mind. (We’ve got 2 weddings and a mitzvah before the end of 2010!) With all of our upcoming trips, I have been thinking a lot about travel and gathering tips from pals who have already done their traveling. So for those who still have trips to come, here are my top travel tips!
- Budget – Planning a trip starts with a budget. Plane tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars it all adds up. It is important to start early and compare, compare, compare prices. Airlines are notorious for swift price changes. When we started looking for flights for Labor Day tickets started around$300, dropped to $200 and for one day they dropped to $100 – we pounced. A few hours later back up to $200. You have to be vigilant, start looking early and be ready to pounce when the price is right.
- Snacks – Pack snacks and LOTS of them. Whether you are traveling with little ones or bigger ones who get grumpy when they don’t eat, everyone will have a much better time if you keep them feed. Since travel always involves the unexpected, make sure you always have a snack ready for the unexpected. Even if they don’t thank you, you will be happier with full bellies.
- Pack Light – This is a mantra I repeat over and over for every trip, and while I have gotten better… I still pack way too much. Whether you are flying or driving, when traveling space is a premium so make the most of it.
- Breathe & Enjoy the Moments – Who says traveling has to be stressful? It is supposed to be fun. So why do we let delays, weather, etc. cramp our style? Because there’s a lot of etc! J But don’t let it spoil your fun, remember that it is a “vacation” and try to enjoy the moments. There are lots moments to be stressed, but even more to enjoy so go on and enjoy them!
- Plug It In – Don’t forget your chargers! Nothing spoils a trip quicker than a dead battery. The last thing you want to do on your trip is search out the closest place to buy a new charger; I know I have been there. One way to limit your packing and possible slip ups is a PowerMat, this thing is so cool. Instead of bringing three separate chargers, bring one PowerMat and plug in up to three devices. Works for iPhone, BlackBerry, Nintendo DS and more. In our family we have an iPod Touch and two Andriod phones, so it’s a great solution for our family. With the Andriods, we still have to plug them into a little cord since they don’t make a wireless receiver for our phones (yet), but it is still so cool and less to travel with. When we aren’t traveling, my husband has taken over the PowerMat as his personal command central. My favorite part about the PowerMat is that it makes this cool little sound when your phone is locked in and charging. It is really a cool device and so high-tech!
Labor Day weekend will mark the first plane trip with our 2 year old since she was a baby, so I want to know your travel tips for flying with a toddler. Oh, and did I mention we have to change planes! (YIKES!) In addition to wishing me luck, I am now taking toddler plane tips! LOL
Buy it – If you want your own PowerMat for your families chargeable, you can buy one online at PowerMat.com, and I have a 20% coupon code for you (below). I also saw them at Target recently too, so you can look for it in person too.
Win it – PowerMat wants to hook one TheSuburbanMom reader up with a PowerMat, and whether you are traveling any time soon or just use this at home you are gonna love it.
Mandatory Entry – To enter, tell me if your BEST toddler traveling tip. Remember, I’ll be changing planes! LOL
- Sign up for my newsletter. (You must confirm your subscription – thanks.)
- Follow TheSuburbanMom on Twitter (@SuburbanMomClub) and tweet about this give away. “Enter to #win a $25 GC to Sam’s from TheSuburbanMom @SuburbanMomClub #giveaway @http://wp.me/pQHaE-1d1”
- Become a fan of TheSuburbanMom on Facebook. (Already a fan, that counts too, just leave a comment.)
- Subscribe to TheSuburbanMom’s RSS Feed
- Leave a comment on any other post on my blog, including entering another giveaway! (1 entry)
Contest ends August 30, 2010 at 11:59 pm. Open to U.S. residents in the continental U.S. only. Winning comment will be chosen at random by Random.org and contacted for shipping information. Winner will have 72 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen.
Discloser – I was provided a PowerMat with accessories for this review and a PowerMat is being provided for the giveaway, however, all thoughts and opinions are my own. No other compensation was received.0