These days USB flash drives are a dime a dozen. But when is a USB drive not just a flash drive? When it is preloaded with Kingston’s urDrive software. And I am not exaggerating when I tell you, drives loaded with this software blow all other drives out of the water. Sure, you can load your files, photos, music and movies on to the drive for portable data storage just like any other USB flash drive. But with the urDrive software, you can do so much more. Think of this little drive as your own portable computer.
Upon loading the urDrive software you find six categories of features:
- PC Checkup – Run a Norton virus and spyware scan that will detect wireless and data threats, uncover slow PC problems and recommend fixes.
- Browse – Browse and search the Internet from any PC with access to your personal bookmarks.
- Backup – In addition to backing your files up to the drive, urDrive comes with an additional 6GB of online storage.
- For Kids – Fooz Kids provides a safe environment for your kids to play games, watch shows, send messages and more all via a program downloaded to your computer.
- Games – Choose from a variety of casual, social and multiplayer games all via urDrive (must be connected to the Internet to play).
- Store – Add even more features to your urDrive by downloading apps designed specifically for the USB drive.
By far the coolest application for parents is the inclusion of Fooz Kids on the drive. Downloading Fooz Kids allows kids to use your computer with limited access to only the kid-approved features within Fooz Kids. (Parent’s must enter their password to exit the program and use anything else on the computer.) With games, coloring pages, videos and even access to kid-friendly websites it is like turning your computer into one of the new kid’s tablets (just without the touch screen feature). Seriously, I was truly impressed, and since Fooz Kids is FREE on urDrive you can give your little ones access to this kids-only world for as little as $10 with no additional game cartridges to buy.
Check out this video to learn more about what you can do with urDrive:
Kingston DataTravelers with urDrive are available on Amazon. Prices vary depending on how much storage you are looking for. I reviewed the Kingston DT109 USB, which is only $10 for an 8GB or $16 for a 16GB (free ship).
My only complaint is that the Kingston DT109 is SO small. It is only about 2 inches long and about 1/2 inch wide. I know we like our technology smaller and smaller, but at this size I am afraid I will lose it. It does have a hole so it can be attached to a key chain or something similar to help you keep track of it, but I just know I am going to lose it. If I were buying another one, I would buy one of the bigger USBs (I mean bigger size wise here, not storage wise). Amazon has larger Kingston USBs with urDrive starting around $10.
With all the cool features included with the urDrive, this is a great gift idea for that hard-to-shop-for person on your list!
Giveaway – One lucky reader will win a urDrive USB five pack.
To enter – Please use the Rafflecopter form below to take advantage of your entry opportunities.
MANDATORY ENTRY MUST BE LEFT AS COMMENT ON BLOG POST BELOW– then you can check off in Rafflecopter that you did it. Otherwise, all other entries will be invalid. (Click instructions for what to comment about.)