Gnomeo & Juliet opens in theaters February 11, 2011, but I feel like I haven’t heard or seen much about this movie, yet. After watching the trailer and actually laughing out loud, I have a feeling this little sleeper cartoon will become a hit. If the movie is as cute as the trailer, it will keep the audience, young and old in stiches. (Seriously, watch this trailer and tell me if you don’t think this looks funny!)
Gnomeo & Juliet is a humorous take on the greatest love story ever told, starring…garden gnomes? In “Gnomeo & Juliet,” Shakespeare’s revered tale gets a comical, off-the-wall makeover. Directed by Kelly Asbury (“Shrek 2”) and showcasing both classic and original songs by Elton John, the film features the voices of James McAvoy and Emily Blunt as Gnomeo and Juliet, who have as many obstacles to overcome as their quasi namesakes when they are caught up in a feud between neighbors. But with plastic pink flamingos and thrilling lawnmower races in the mix, can this young couple find lasting happiness?
I love these little nods to Shakespeare featured throughout the film, I will be sure to keep my eyes out for them when I see the movie:
- In a nod to “Hamlet,” Miss Montague’s mailbox is numbered 2B, while her rival neighbor Mr. Capulet’s mailbox is 2B with a red slash through it (“NOT to be”).
- “Macbeth” is referenced in a scene in which Juliet is threatened by a bulldog. She slams shut her garden gate and shouts “Out!”—followed quickly by the dog’s distant owner yelling “Damned Spot!”
- Featherstone’s shed interior features a ticket stub for “As You Like It.”
- The truck that rolls through and accidentally drops a couple teapots (later mistaken by several gnomes as a broken comrade), is marked “Tempest Teapots.”
- When the Goons glue Juliet to her pedestal, the glue is labeled “The Taming of the Glue.”
Giveaway! In anticipation of this new movie, I have a Gnomeo & Juliet prize pack for one lucky reader.
This giveaway has ended.
Disclosure – I was provided the prize pack to giveaway, however, all thoughts an opinions are my own.0