Ok all you coupon clipping mommas, I have a mission for you. Did you know military members and their families can use Manufacturer Coupons up to 6 months AFTER they expire at the commissary on base? Yep, the coupons you can’t use anymore can provide those who serve our country with a little savings!
I was so excited when I stumbled across this web site about an Overseas Coupon Program. It is run entirely by volunteers, and it provides information about how and where you can send your coupons to U.S. Military bases overseas. Of course, the program would love for you to collect mounds of coupons, but anything you have that you can send helps.
Here is the gist of the program:
- Adopt a base. (You don’t have to do this, but this seems to be how the site is able to track how many coupons it has helped provide. So, why not?)
- Manufacturer coupons only. In-store coupons are useless. No restaurant coupons either.
- Clip your coupons as if you were going to use them yourself.
- Separate into 2 piles – food and non-food and place into baggies or envelopes to keep separate.
- Send coupons no more than 2 months expired so they have time to use them.
- Add up the dollars saved if all coupons are used (again, this isn’t necessary, but it helps the web site track).
- Mail your coupons to the base.
- Report how many coupons you mailed back to the web site.
That’s it! They even give you props on their site for the dollar amount of coupons you send.