I don’t like bugs. I don’t like ones that fly, ones that crawl ones that bite or ones that sting. They are creepy, crawly and give me nightmares. But as much as I don’t like bugs, I dislike introducing toxic chemicals into my home and near my daughter even more. The idea of the effect of these chemicals on my family is even more scary to me then the bugs they repel.
When I learned about EcoSmart’s natural home pest control, I jumped at the chance to share this product line with you because I was ecstatic to learn about a NATURAL way to repel those icky creepy bigs without toxic chemicals.
No toxic chemicals? Then how do they work? EcoSMART’s technology is based on the natural defenses that plants and trees use for their self-protection against insects and pathogens. Unlike other botanical pesticides, EcoSMART’s formulas are composed of the most effective combinations of organic plant oils. EcoSMART’s patented technology combines plant oils that target and block a key neurotransmitter receptor site found only in insects and other invertebrates.
When my box of EcoSmart products arrived, the first thing I noticed was the smell (one of the products had leaked a little). It didn’t smell great, after all it is supposed to repel bugs not attracted them, but it didn’t make me gag and close up my lungs (I am asthmatic) like most bug repellents. While I wasn’t a fan of the smell, I was comforted by knowing the scent was non-toxic.
The next thing I did was turn over all of the bottles to check the ingredients. What is in these organic, non-toxic bug sprays? I was floored by the list I saw:
- Insect Repellent – active ingredients = Rosemary oil, Cinnamon oil, Lemongrass oil, Geraniol, other (isopropyl aclcohol, isopropyl myristate, wintergreen oil)
- Ant & Roach Spray – active ingredients = Rosemary oil, Cinnamon oil, other (water, wintergreen oil, mineral oil, oleic acid, canola oil, nitrogen, vanillin & lecithin)
- Flying Insect Killer – active ingredients = Peppermint oil, Cinnamon oil, Sesame oil, other (water, wintergreen oil, isopropanol, canola oil, lecithin & nitrogen)
- Home Pest Control (for indoor & outdoor use) – active ingredients = 2-Phenethyl Propionate, Clove oil, Rosemary oil, Peppermint oil Tyme oil, other (water, octadecenoic acid, potassium, salt & lecithin)
Did you see that – all natural plant oils! Why didn’t someone think of this before?
Of all of the sprays, I was most excited by the list on the Insect Repellent. This is the type you spray on your skin, and since I am allergic to most areasol buy repellants I was thrilled to see Rosemary oil, Cinnamon oil & Lemongrass oil on the active ingredient list – I am not allergic to any of these. Plus, this spray smells GOOD! Don’t get me get me wrong, it isn’t going to be my new perfume… but it smells light and non-chemically. Like… well… plant oils
Luckily for me, it is early spring and we currently do not have a bug issue at our house, unfortuantly, that means I didnt have an opportunity (yet) to try out the sprays. (Even the mosquitoes are late coming out this year because we had such a cold winter.) But as soon as the first bugs appear, I will be all over them with my new organic, non-toxic, plant-based bug sprays!
Where can you buy EcoSmart?
EcoSmart offers a whole line of bug products, which can be purchased online in affordable bundles of four ($23-$26 for four bottles depending on the bundle). Products are also now available at Home Depot.
Mandatory – Would you like to win a bundle of natural home pest control? Of course you would. To enter, just leave a comment telling me why you want or need the value bundle of EcoSmart.
More opportunties to win (leave a separate comment for each additional entry you do):
- Follow TheSuburbanMom on Twitter (@SuburbanMomClub) and tweet about this give away. “I just entered to win EcoSmart Natural Bug Killer from TheSuburbanMom at http://bit.ly/aMw0u2″ (Or just use the retweet button)
- Become a fan of TheSuburbanMom on Facebook. (Already a fan, that counts too, just leave a comment.)
- Enter any of my other giveaways! (1 entry for this giveaway per entry on another giveaway – leave a comment for each.)
- Tell a friend! (I have to take your word on this one.) Tell a friend about TheSuburbanMom, this contest or to become a fan of my Facebook fan page and leave a comment telling me what you did to share. (1 entry only)
Contest ends April 21, 2010 at 5 pm. Open to U.S. residents in the continental U.S. only. Winning comment will be chosen at random by Random.org and contacted for shipping information. Winner will have 72 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen.
This giveaway is now closed, but be sure to check out all of my other active giveaways.
Discloser – I was given an EcoSmart Safe Home Value Bundle to review for this post, all thoughts and opinions are expressly my own. No other compensation was received.